How many times have you heard the old adage “measure twice, cut once”? I’m sure if you’re like us you hear it almost daily! Here are a few tips to help you avoid costly errors at the start of a project:
- Try to measure at a time of the day when you are most fresh. Some people are morning people and are more alert earlier in the day. Others feel most awake in the afternoon or evening hours, when most of the distractions of the day are over.
- Make hand sketches of the area that take into consideration windows, electrical plugs, plumbing, HVAC, etc.
- Invest in software to layout your design projects. Spending the time and money to integrate a design to cut-list system will streamline inventory and purchasing.
- If investing in software is not an option, make sure to take your time calculating your cut-list. Go over your hand sketch carefully. Try to limit distractions; let your calls go to voicemail and work on the project during the quietest part of your day.
- Finalize the designs and colors with your customer.
Spend the time at the beginning of the design process to eliminate costly go-backs and unhappy customers.